I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Dance Of Writing And Reading

Each Thursday afternoon I find myself sitting in an uncomfortable chair, much like a dozen or so other mothers in the room. My daughter can be seen up on a large flat screen television as she and her classmates learn how to pirouette and plie'. I waste no time putting the ear buds into my ears and finding some great tunes on my iPod. I have put on the least amount of makeup of all the mommies around me and nobody knows about the holes in the toes of my socks. I do, however, have something going for me. I'm a writer. I open my Writing Family Histories and Memoirs book by Kirk Polking and uncap my neon yellow highlighter to begin my search for valuable information to help me create works of historical fiction. I am a poet at heart, a free-lance writer by trade, and a novelist in the making...I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment