I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Beauty and Brains

I did it. I finally finished the story I have been working on for the last month or so. Rome wasn't built in a day and when it comes to historic fiction, it can take forever! Since then, I have found myself procrastinating, wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out what to do with my brain and my fingers.

On pay day, I decided to take a visit to historic Jefferson, Texas to get my hair done at the world's only beauty salon - slash - bookstore, Beauty and the Book. Can you ask for more? Perfect hair while surrounded by shelves of books! Okay, maybe a few bars of chocolate and a cup of iced coffee. I would have never come home! Kathy would have had to put some chairs together to make me a bed.

So, this Kathy that I speak of is a Queen; a Pulpwood Queen that is. A writer, a reader, a book club creator, tiara wearing hair dresser. She has asked me to take over the Shreveport chapter that a good friend of mine started. Me, a queen? We'll see.

On another note, it has been 3 years since I began writing for Louisiana Road Trips magazine. I still remember the very night that my friend assured me that I could do it and gave me the editor's email address. I got hired that very night and have been rolling out the articles ever since. Today my editor sent me an email with exciting news! The magazine is going to publish it's first collection of articles in book form! About 300 articles from the past 5 years will be selected. Now we only have to wait and see which pieces of mine will make the cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment