I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Typewriters, Typewriters, Everywhere!

Monroeville County Courthouse in Monroeville, Alabama (home of Harper Lee and Truman Capote) has an eclectic collection of vintage typewriters. Notice, the small gray one in the case was actually used by Truman himself! Aside from typewriters, the courthouse also has a collection of old dictaphones and cameras.

1 comment:

  1. I just love reading works by authors who wrote before the Internet. Although I use the net every day, I dream of the era when someone could sit back in peace with typewriters like these and really focus on their work. There is a certain quality of soundness that comes from the writing of those days, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete