I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~Mark Twain
When it comes to writing submissions, I think that the bone folder is possibly mightier than the pen. How else can you take about five pages and a SASE and thin it down to the point that it only needs one, maybe two postage stamps, max?

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out. ~Author Unknown

There is nothing creative about writing query letters, printing manuscripts, folding (if the submission is small) and stamping. Thank God for self-adhesive stamps and envelopes, however! The process is drone work almost making me want to "hire" my 5 year old to do it for me while I sip a latte and read a novel.

As for keeping up with my submissions, it is now extremely easy since I found the program Sonar online. It allows me to keep up with when I mailed my submissions, and if they have circled back like a boomerang for me to dispense yet again to another editor.

Don't be too harsh to these poems until they're typed. I always think typescript lends some sort of certainty: at least, if the things are bad then, they appear to be bad with conviction. ~Dylan Thomas, letter to Vernon Watkins, March 1938
Here goes nothing....yet, maybe something?


No comments:

Post a Comment