I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Getting Back Into the Groove

It has been a wonderful holiday season and the new year has officially begun. After a research trip to New Orleans, Christmas day at home, a second Christmas in Alabama, and a New Years Eve/day of taking care of sick family members, I'm having a hard time finding my writing groove again. How does one do it after so much hustle and bustle? How do you get the natural flow back without trying too hard (which messes up everything of course)?

I mentioned in a previous post that author Anne Rice frequently writes little blurbs on Facebook, supporting "wanna-be" novelists. I am now almost convinced that Anne is just my conscience speaking. Her newest series of encouragement reads as follows:

All aspiring writers out there: know that we need you, we need your voice, your vision, your stories. Be brave. Go where the pain is; go where the pleasure is. Seek to create in words the world in which you long to live.


On Writing: I wish all you writers out there a bountiful and good year. If you're new to the game, faith in yourself is your greatest asset. Never revise a book based on a rejection. Never. Believe in yourself and keep going. And may this year bring you success.


New writers young and old, may you be fearless. May you go where the pain is, and go where the pleasure is, may you dare to write the novels of your dreams, and stand by them. May you create the classics of tomorrow! Happy 2010. Make this a decade of great literature.


Can it get any better than that? Now if that doesn't light a fire, I don't know what will!

No comments:

Post a Comment