I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Alabama Excursion - Part 1


So...I lived in Montgomery, Alabama for a few years. Had my daughter at Baptist Hospital and even met one of the best friends my family has ever had (we all moved away together). One weekend when my mom came to visit, we toured the F.Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald house in the old Cloverdale neighborhood of Montgomery. Zelda had family there and, according to my grandmother-in-law who had family in the same area, threw lavish parties that were the talk of the town.

5 or so years later, the photographs that I took of the Fitzgerald house had still not surfaced in my home. I do not remember ever downloading or developing anything remotely similar. Now, during my first visit to Montgomery since moving to the Pelican State, one of the first things I do (aside from being a bit glum after discovering that our favorite restaurants have closed up shop), is drive into old Cloverdale (near the historic Huntingdon College where To Kill A Mockingbird's Harper Lee went to college for a time) to replace the photographs that I did or did not take. We did not take another tour, but I had fun traipsing throughout the yard, taking snap shots of various angles of the home, now museum.


No comments:

Post a Comment