I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fun, Fantastic Read

Recently while checking my email, I got Square Books in Oxford, Mississippi's weekly newsletter. In it was an announcement of Southern author M.O. Walsh's upcoming book signing in the store of his newest book The Prospect of Magic: Stories. The synopsis sounded interesting, so I immediately ordered a signed copy to be delivered to my house after the event. I am SO glad that I did. The Prospect of Magic is light and deep at the same time and can be read from front to back in a single sitting (just because it's hard to put it down even to get a drink or go to the restroom, much less sleep). Walsh is a Baton Rouge native who imagined what it would be like if a travelling circus got stranded in small town Louisiana after the death of their ring master. What would the carnies do then? Would they get regular jobs or become the freaks of the town? In my opinion, this book of magical stories (pun intended) is destined to become a classic in Southern literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment