I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Satisfying the Ghosts

I admit that it has been several months since I have touched base with my blog. With the craziness of the holidays, every day tasks seemed to have been put on hold. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

It is now 2011 and I feel the ghosts of 2010 past weighing heavy on my conscience. My writing ghosts, that is. I feel as if there should be some kind of place I should go to confess my writing sins. "Yes father, I have sinned 6 times. I have started short stories that I have not finished. I have quit writing poetry completely, and I have become a slacker in my article writing." Surely there's a support group for this! Writers Anonymous or something.

My New Years resolution is to get off of my ass and be the writer that I know I can be. I spent the weekend in Jefferson, Texas with some of the BIGGEST names in Southern Literature. Hell, I even sat beside the 2010 Texas Poet Laureate Karla K. Morton for an entire day and she even gave me a list of journals that she submits to! I have NO excuse not to be a good writer, I have NO excuse not to be a good writer...as I click my fuzzy slippers 3 times like Dorothy. No, mine aren't covered in rubies, but mine are more comfortable! Ha!

This will be an extraordinary year of words and books, I can just feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment