I recently read somewhere to only write what you know and if you don't know about it, read about it. I once attended the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge and had the chance to ask Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg how one would know if a story is worth writing, and of course, eventually reading. He told me with all seriousness that if it means anything to me at all, then yes, it is most certainly worth it. I am determined to milk his reply for all it's worth. This is my journey. The ups. The downs. And all of the words in between.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Modern Writing and Reading, My Month of Firsts

As a writer, reader, and avid book buyer, the month of March has been a big month for me. I will ALWAYS support the printed, paper book. I don't care how many trees it saves to use other formats, the feel of a book in my hands (and even the smell) will always be special moments in my life. I don't think I could manage very well without books, coffee, chocolate, etc. etc.

For Christmas I ended up getting a Kindle, which I have to say, although it took me about 2 months to pick it up, I finally gave in and LOVE it! No, I can't smell the ink or feel the smoothness of paper under my fingertips, but I can read a large novel without giving myself carpel tunnel and it fits nicely in my purse. So, when I went to the bookstore a week ago and found myself picking up books and putting them back down, thinking I could just get them on my kindle, I shocked myself beyond belief. After rebelling for so long, I have become one of those people. And I have to say, I have no problem with it.

Another first for this month is the fact that I took a weekend trip to New Orleans and didn't go into a SINGLE bookstore!! Mind blowing, I know. I only even brought home one brochure, for a tour I didn't even get to take. I will admit, however, that I have been home from New Orleans for two days and have already called the Garden District Book Shop to order a signed book.

After months of hearing from various people that I should try writing on my iPhone in Evernote (an app that I have had for months but never really used much), I finally reached a point where I just had to do it. Fat-fingering on a phone keyboard is one of my big pet peeves, which is why I don't even text much. But on the way home from New Orleans, in the dark, there was no way I could pull out my notebook and pencil. So, I picked up my phone and wrote like made all the way from Natchitoches to Shreveport. Now...I just have to remember to actually transfer it all to my computer.

2 comments:

  1. I really think it is OKAY to love electronic media, too. It will not replace our love for books, for all that bookish stuff. But it is just another way to read, and for me, that is all all ALL good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very surprised to find that you broke down and used the Kindle. More amazing still is that you like it and was able to stay away from the bookstores on your recent trip! Carey, there may even be hope for ME yet! I love the smell and feel of books just like you do...and I've already had that carpal tunnel surgery, but you make me realize I should never say never! (Money and space saving IS a plus!!)

    ReplyDelete